A VICAR in Broadway is calling for a 20mph speed limit to be introduced on a "dangerous" road in the village.

Reverend Shellie Massey, of the Vicarage, Church Street, is concerned about people speeding and fears if nothing is done, there could be nasty accident.

“There is a problem in Church Street," she said. "Because I am on a corner as you turn into it, if you don’t live there people go so fast. They don’t realise people live there.

“People are zooming through places where children cross the road. It’s just not safe. You can hear them rattling along. People have told me they are scared to cross the road.

“When my cat Izzy was killed it was in Church Close. They are planning double yellow lines on Station Road, that will make it even faster. It’s just dangerous at the moment."

Rev Massey thinks the answer is to reduce the speed down to 20 mph.

“It would be much better,” she said. “I don’t think it is enforceable but then maybe people would travel at 30mph.

“If they lost control at the speeds they travel at the moment they would be in the houses. Some of them are doing 70mph, or that’s what it seems like.”

And she said after speaking to people in the village, she felt the problem is not just limited to Church Street.

“Since discussing this with people around the village it seems it’s a problem throughout the village,” she added. “I’ve heard that people don’t feel safe in this village crossing the road and are quite vulnerable even crossing to attend church.”

Councillor John Smith OBE, Worcestershire County Council's Cabinet Member for Highways, said: "The County Council takes road safety very seriously and is always keen to hear from residents and listen to their views.

"Anyone with these concerns should speak to their County Councillor in the first instance. "

Anna Higgins, Communications Manager at Warwickshire Police and West Mercia Police Safer Roads Partnership, said so far they had not any correspondence from the local community about Church Street or Church Close.

"If there is significant community concern, the local parish council or safer neighbourhood team can raise it with us, and we will look to see if any action can be taken," she said.