Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting EJ NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Controversial plans in Broadway turned down
1:05pm Friday 25th April 2014 in News
THERE was much delight from members of the public after plans to build 125 homes in Broadway were refused.
Controversial plans to build a new estate on land at Leamington Road, Broadway, were met with great opposition from villagers and around 500 letters of objection were received by Wychavon District Council's planning department.
The applicants, the Lindner Family and Spitfire, had hoped to built 75 homes alongside a 40 bed affordable care apartment building and 10 bungalows also with care.
But local resident Graham Love said he did not believe this development should take place in an Area of Natural Beauty and a conservation area and said the site was a flood risk.
He said: "There is the assumption that there should be more houses in Broadway, obviously Broadway should be making a contribution but we already have applications approved."
The application was initially deferred in November for changes to be made, including the affordable element to include all ages, the reduction in height of the three storey apartment block by one level, the proximity of building to Turnpike Cottages, removal or alteration of the barn type properties, inadequate parking for all homes and a reduction in the size of the development.
But councillors felt almost none of their objections had been taken into account and a long debate ensued.
Local member and planning committee member Barrie Parmenter said: "All of those items, bar one, that we deferred for before, which they have ignored."
He went on to raise concerns over the already high population of over 65s in Broadway, currently at 33.3 percent and highlighted local objection.
Cllr Judy Pearce said she agreed with points raised by Mr Love suggesting the extension of the site, outside the lane allocated for planning in the South Worcestershire Development Plan, was only justified by the affordable housing, which should also be available to younger people currently priced out of the housing market in the village and added she had concerns on the design including barns created for parking cars.
"I don't think the developers have seriously listened to what we were saying at all," said Cllr Pearce.
Parish Council chairman councillor David Folkes, who also spoke against the plans, afterwards said he was pleased with the outcome.
"I was quite pleased," he said. "I had been expecting them to approve it. But the developers can go to appeal now. At least the people can see we are doing something."
Comments are closed on this article.