MORETON Rangers were brought back down to earth on Tuesday night as they were well beaten at FC Stratford in their second game of the Hellenic League Division One campaign.

Manpreet Singh scored the only goal in Saturday's opening match of the season, as Moreton beat newly-promoted Sporting Club Inkberrow 1-0. 

Cotswold Journal: Manpreet Singh scored the winning goal for Moreton on Saturday against InkberrowManpreet Singh scored the winning goal for Moreton on Saturday against Inkberrow (Image: Phil Britt)

But Rangers were unable to back that up with another win on Tuesday night as they lost at Stratford. 

Jude Hill put the hosts in front in first-half stoppage time to break the resistance of the visitors, who had defended well until that point. A shot from range was stopped by the Moreton keeper, only for Hill to be on hand to hammer home the rebound.

Daniel Adkins then made it 2-0 just before the hour with a brilliant finish into the top corner to dampen any thoughts that Moreton might pinch something from the game. 

Cian Hodson then hit the bar for Stratford as they looked to kill the game off, which they did eventually manage to do 12 minutes from time when substitute Joshua Kilbride added a third to make it two wins from two for the home side. 

Stratford sit second in the table after the first two rounds of fixtures, having won their opener 1-0 at Cheltenham Saracens.

As for Moreton, they sit in ninth with one win and one defeat. They are next in action on Saturday when they host Southam United, whilst Stratford host Long Crendon. 

Elsewhere in Division One on Tuesday night, Clanfield 85 went top of the league after a 2-1 win at Kidlington Reserves and Southam beat Saracens 2-1.

Hartpury University and Calne Town shared six goals in an entertaining 3-3 draw, whilst Newent Town and Shortwood United took a point apiece after finishing level at 2-2. 

Newly-promoted Sporting Club Inkberrow were the big winners of the night, scoring six goals away from home at Long Crendon.

Chipping Sodbury Town were held 1-1 by league newcomers FC Bristol and in the only other game, Malmesbury Victoria and Stonehouse Town ended goalless.