THE manager of England's non-league team praised Evesham United keeper Andy Hannah for his traditional goalkeeping attributes.

Hannah was called up for the FA Select XI that took on Herefordshire FA's representative side on Tuesday, replacing ex-Robins stopper Harvey Rivers for the second 45 minutes of a 2-2 draw.

One of his first jobs was to pick Jamie Molyneux's low curled effort out of the net but he went on to make a handful of saves with a minimum of fuss to impress Paul Fairclough, the England C boss who took charge of the FA side.

“Both goalkeepers did really well,” said Fairclough.

“Harvey had a lot more to do in the first half but showed good, safe hands.

“Andy found it difficult initially because we ask goalkeepers to play out with their feet. Harvey had an advantage there because he is an ex-outfield player, a centre forward.

“It was a little bit alien for the boy Hannah but he made a really good save that kept us in it. He got himself into a very good position and did what he needed to.

“I was impressed with his vocal support to the back four as well.”

Rivers faced two penalties in his stint between the sticks with John Mills firing the first wide.

Redditch United's Shaquille Leachman-Whittingham gave the FA side a 21st-minute lead with a cushioned, downward header from a corner only but James Roberts made no mistake with the second spot-kick a minute later.

Molyneux turned the tables within two minutes of the second half beginning but prolific Cirencester Town striker Ben Whitehead, a target for Evesham last season, tucked in a looping ricochet from George Forsyth's free-kick to level matters 10 minutes from time.

Ex-United left-back Lewis Binns, now at Cinderford Town, played 77 minutes for the FA team.


7: Jamie Molyneux released down the left, he scuffed his shot but from the recycled ball James Roberts drove at Harvey Rivers who caught with ease.

14: Will Christopher played a blind short pass back to Rivers which John Mills seized upon only to get caught by the outrushing keeper.

Mills dusted himself down but side-footed the penalty wide of the right post.

GOAL 21 (1-0 FA): Shaquille Leachman-Whittingham cushioned in a downward header from close range having moved across his marker to meet a tantalising corner.

GOAL 22 (1-1): A second penalty for Herefordshire, Kyle Finn was brought down seconds after the restart with Roberts slamming home from 12 yards high to the right of Rivers.

GOAL 47 (2-1 Herefordshire): Molyneux took a crisp low ball to left corner of the box, one touch and fired low across replacement keeper Andy Hannah.

58: Snapshot on the swivel from substitute Ben Whitehead, into Jahquil Hill’s midriff.

60: Molyneux fed Roberts in the middle, point-blank range, Robbie Cundy nipped in with a vital touch to prod to safety.

69: Whittingham played down the inside right of the box, burst past full-back but shot drilled over at near post.

GOAL 80 (2-2): George Forsyth took a 20-yard free-kick after Louis Spalding had been clipped en route to the box, it ricocheted up off the wall for Whitehead to nudge past Hill.

83: Glorious chance for Whitehead, Forsyth released Dan King down the right to thump in a fast low delivery but the striker’s first-time finish was wide of the near post.

Herefordshire XI: Hill (unattached), Gwynne (Westfields), Rawlings (Westfields), Wharton (Hereford), Green (Hereford), Edwards (Cardiff Met), Finn (Hereford), Dinsley (Hereford), Mills (Bath, on loan at Westfields), Roberts (Hereford), Molyneux (Westfields)

Subs: Kahaki (Westfields – replaced Edwards, 59), Plane (Westfields – replaced Green, 71), Wildig (Hereford Lads Club – replaced Finn, 80), Jones (Wellington – replaced Mills, 83), Moreira (Westfields – replaced Molyneux, 63).

Unused: Purdie (unattached).

FA XI: Rivers (Truro City), Christopher (Cirencester Town), Binns (Cinderford Town), Cundy (Bath City), Brown (Slimbridge), Forsyth (Worcester City), Raynes (Bath City), H Spalding (Swindon Supermarine), Anderson (Stourbridge), Powell (Stourbridge), Whittingham (Redditch United).

Subs: L Spalding (Cirencester Town – replaced Binns, 77), King (Slimbridge – replaced Powell, h-t), Macdonald (Cinderford Town – replaced H Spalding, h-t), Whitehead (Cirencester Town, replaced Anderson, h-t), Hannah (Evesham United – replaced Rivers, h-t).

Attendance: 336.

Referee: Robert Massey-Ellis (Army FA).