A LEOMINSTER man assaulted his boss after being given a job ultimatum, magistrates were told.

Steven Adrian Manning, 53, of Pump Piece, Leominster, pleaded guilty to two counts of assault.

Prosecutor Shafquat Raez told the Hereford Magistrates Court that the offences had taken place at Manning's place of work, J Harper and Sons, Leominster.

The court heard that on June 4 this year Manning had been called into a meeting with company director Antony Paul Rees.

MORE COURTS NEWS: Racist attack in curry house

On being told that he was going to lose his job, Manning got Mr Rees into a headlock and repeatedly punched him.

A fellow employee, Simon John Deakin, heard Mr Rees' shouts for help and ran up to the office, where he saw Manning holding Mr Rees, who was "covered in blood".

Mr Deakin grabbed Manning from behind in an attempt to restrain him, but was headbutted and left with a split lip, while Mr Rees had bruises to his face and forehead.

Manning was escorted from the building while he continued to shout threats.

Christopher Read, for Manning, said he had been employed at the business for two years and was expecting to attend an annual review meeting.

MORE COURTS NEWS: Driver had been drinking the night before

But on that morning, there were changes made as to who Manning would be speaking to.

"He thought he was going for his annual review, and he was expecting to get a wage increase, as various promises had been made," Mr Read said.

"But that meeting did not go the way he believed it was going to.

"He was told that he could go and work in Stoke-on-Trent, or be dismissed."

Mr Read told the court that Manning had kept a record of what had been said to him in a notebook, and that he planned to use this information to claim for unfair dismissal, but that Mr Rees had attempted to take the notebook from him.

"This turned into a tussle over the book," Mr Read said.

"Mr Deakin came in and grabbed him from behind, causing his head to come into contact with him by accident.

"The injuries were not serious, and although there was a lot of blood on Mr Rees' shirt, there was no blood visible on him, and I think it was from a nosebleed."

Manning was given a 12-month community order. He must also complete 60 hours of unpaid work and pay £50 compensation to Mr Rees, £25 to Mr Deakin, and a victim surcharge of £85.