It has been a week of defeats for the Cotswolds teams competing in the Gloucestershire FA Challenge Cup.

The second round of the knockout competition began last Thursday, December 8, with Moreton Rangers being decisively beaten away at Fairford Town, who came out 5-0 victors.

The hosts first goal was simply sensational, a long ball over the top finding Nick Stanley whose half volley effort perfectly lobbed the keeper.

Fairford doubled their lead before halftime, this time by way of Mason Thompson.

The play began with Thompson hitting an almost perfect free kick from 25 yards which was impressively saved by the Moreton shot stopper.

However, a clever bit of play from the resulting corner was enough to undo the Rangers defence who were slow to react to the short corner with Thompson retrieving the ball before finishing from a tight angle.

Moreton came close to finding a goal themselves before the close of the half however the Fairford keeper was able to keep Rangers at bay.

The hosts added a third soon after the break, once again from a corner, Danny Gudger getting on the scoresheet this time.

Moreton looked lost when it came to the fourth goal.

Repeated failed attempts to clear the ball, despite being at the halfway line, eventually led to Fairford capitalising, Gudger able to run on through before calmly slotting it past the keeper.

Fairford added a fifth, once more from a corner, this time Joe McGrogan getting the finishing touch.

There wasn’t much cup magic for Bourton either, who were hammered 6-0 when they travelled to Hartpury University on Tuesday night.

Hartpury went 1-0 up after 22 minutes through an emphatic header from King Baidoo before Emanuel Bam doubled their lead 16 minutes later.

It took just four minutes of the second half for Hartpury to find a third, Baidoo grabbing his second following confusion in the box.

Bam then added his second with 63 minutes gone before Baidoo completed his hattrick moments later.

Not wanting to be outdone, Bam then finished off his own hattrick with 73 minutes played, rounding the keeper after catching on to a loose ball.

The third round of the GFA Challenge Cup is scheduled for February 5, 2022.