A PONY has died after it was reportedly fed kitchen scraps by walkers in the Cotswolds.

Last week, police revealed that it was receiving a number of reports of people feeding horses in fields around Stow-on-the-Wold.

PCSO Josh Allen warned walkers of the dangers of feeding horses that they see out in the fields as they stroll past.

Sadly, despite a number of pleas, some walkers have failed to heed advice.

On Tuesday morning, police received a call that a pony in the district that was 'being fed kitchen scraps' has died.

A spokesman for Cotswolds Police said: "Some horses have special dietary requirements and your food may hurt them. Don't feed horses."

Polly Portwin, an equine enthusiast and spokeswoman for the Countryside Alliance, said: "As a general rule, unless you are aware of the horse and its dietary requirements, you should not feed other people’s horses full-stop.

"Unfortunately, we hear very distressing stories of horses being made incredibly ill and dying from being fed the wrong food by walkers who come across a horse out in the field.

"It could be easy to assume horses can consume and digest much of the same foods enjoyed by humans or other animals, but that simply isn’t the case.

"Aside from dietary considerations, it is well known that a horse’s behaviour can change incredibly quickly, especially around food.

"Competition to get to food and the source, can occasionally lead to some horses reacting aggressively towards other horses that are around them, which could put the person feeding them and those accompanying them such as children or dogs, in a vulnerable position.

"It’s important to remember that livestock and horses are part of people’s livelihoods and while, where it is permitted, they can be admired from a safe distance, passers-by should avoid offering them any food. The risks are just far too great."