AN 84-YEAR-OLD Bourton-on-the-Water man who was exposed to asbestos when he worked for the Ministry of Defence from the 1960s died from natural causes and not, as was originally thought, from an industrial disease, an inquest was told.

Malcolm Ratcliffe, of Old Gloucester Road, Bourton-on-the-Water, “died peacefully at his home” with his wife by his side on May 25, this year, Gloucestershire Coroner’s Court heard.

Assistant coroner for the county Roland Wooderson said: “Medical evidence after a post mortem confirmed that the level of mineral fibres in the deceased’s lungs were of no significance to the cause of death."

Mr Ratcliffe had a history of heart disease and this was the cause of his death, the inquest heard.

The conclusion was death from natural causes.