Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting EJ NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Plans for cottage demolition withdrawn
Updated 3:37pm Thursday 13th February 2014 in News
PEACE has been restored in a tiny Cotswold village once more after plans to rip down a picturesque 17th Century cottage and replace it with a new building were withdrawn.
As previously reported, plans to demolish Michaelmas House, in Lower Lemington, near Moreton, were submitted to Cotswold District Council just before Christmas.
But the proposals to replace the cottage, which is next to a Norman church and is just one of six houses in the tiny hamlet, horrified residents and people living further afield who contacted The Journal and the previous owner, Charles Pearmain.
The 57-year-old, who now lives in Great Wolford, near Shipston, was dismayed at the plans he described as "insensitive vandalism" but said he is now glad they are being reconsidered.
"There was a lot of public outcry, I had quite a few people contact me," he said. "It's such a pretty little village there's nothing around there. There's some old farm buildings but everything else is just as it was 200 or 300 years ago.
"I think people appreciate that sort of peace and tranquillity. Michaelmas House is such an important part being only one of six houses there it's the thing you see as you drive into the village.
"It captures everyone's hearts. I think it was the destruction of that little corner of England was what people were objecting to."
Benjamin Burchnall, chairman of Batsford Parish Meeting, said he was pleased the application had been withdrawn.
"Harmony has been restored and not a great amount of change has happened," he said. "It's not cost any money, if people were going to start a petition and gone to legal challenge it would have cost.
"It's a good thing, peacefully agreed."
The applicant has already demolished a single storey side extension and part of a rear extension - which they do not need planning permission for - which were installed in the 1960s and 70s.
A spokesman for Cotswold District Council said: "This application was withdrawn as it was going to be refused on the grounds that approval would have resulted in the loss of a heritage asset."
When contacted by The Journal, planning agent Steven Chance said the applicant had no comment.
Comments are closed on this article.