100 years ago – March 30 1912-

OWEN Bradley, carpenter, Sutton-under-Brailes, was summoned for being drunk and refusing to quit licensed premises on March 16. Defendant pleaded guilty. Frank Pickering said he kept the Coach and Horses. On the Saturday evening, at about eight o’clock, defendant came to his house.

He was refused drink, and as he would not go out he put him out. Defendant was further summoned for breaking ten panes of glass and doing same to the amount of 6s. at the same time and place. He pleaded guilty. Frank Pickering said that after he had put him out, the defendant commenced breaking the panes of glass in the kitchen windows with his fists. He could not get the windows repaired till the Monday morning. He paid 6s. to have them mended, Defendant was fined 5s. and 5s costs for refusing to quit, and 5s. fine, 6s.

damage, and 8s. costs for breaking the window – £1 9s.

Allowed fourteen days to pay.

75 years ago

March 27 1937 ON Saturday, Mr Herbert Payne, who had retired after forty-three years’ service as telegraph boy and later postman, was presented by the Postmaster General. The Postmaster complimented Mr Payne on his record and wished him many years of happy retirement. Mr Payne served under nine different Postmasters or Postmistresses, commencing as a boy at the old Post Office in High-street, Blockley, under Mrs Barcroft. His duties were to deliver telegrams and help in the bakehouse, the Post Office being then a baker’s business as well. For this he was paid half-a-crown per week together with his food, and he often had to walk to the racing stables at Bourton-on-the-Hill and to Springhill House three and four times per day with telegrams, Mrs Powell followed Mrs Barcroft as Postmistress and was followed by Mrs Hayes.

The Post Office was then transferred to its present position and Mr Payne there served under Mrs Joyner, Mr Bayliss, Mr Hollis and Mr Mills. About five years ago he was transferred to Bourton-on-the-Hill, where he served under Mr Atkins, completing his service under Mr Sutcliffe. He has many tales to tell of his experiences in his early days. At that time the mails were brought into Blockley from Broadway on horseback. Mr Payne met these mails and if there were any letters for Morton-in-Marsh he had to take them there, returning to Blockley with the mails from Moreton-in-Marsh and then delivering the Blockley letters. When he was first made a member of the Post Office staff he received 19s. per week but previous to this he had been only receiving 12s. per week as a full time auxiliary postman. For nine years he met the mail train at Blockley Station at 5.20 every morning and brought up the mail bags up on a bicycle.

40 years ago – March 30 1972 CURLY Russell, one of the best-known designers in the furniture industry, retires tomorrow after 48 years with Gordon Russell Ltd, of Broadway. W H Russell, FSIA, a Londoner, who studied cabinet making under Percy Wells at Shoreditch, came to Broadway in 1924 and soon became design assistant to Gordon Russell. He was made head of the drawing office in 1933 and was responsible for the design of the firm’s exhibit at the Paris Exhibition in 1937. After the war he designed some of the company’s most successful ranges, including a dining chair which is now a classic, having been in continuous production for 22 years with sales exceeding 85,000. For 12 years he has been chief examiner in cabinet making to the City and Guilds of London. Sir Gordon Russell, in a boardroom tribute, spoke of his modesty and complete sincerity, combined with great devotion to fine design and workmanship.