KETTLES will be boiling in kitchens across the Vale and Cotswolds for the Macmillan Biggest Coffee Morning tomorrow.
Thousands of people are expected to meet up and enjoy a hot beverage as well as a sweet treat while raising money for the cancer care and support charity.
Last year Debbie Mason and her sisters Mandy and Sandra raised temperatures at their family business in Pershore after they served coffee and cake wearing ‘naughty nurses’ outfits.
They proved such a hit that they were named in the top 100 hosts in the county and will be doing the same again this year at their fruit and veg shop, Ken and Jen Mason and Daughters, in Cherry Orchard.
Debbie said: “As we are a fruit and veg store people don’t really expect to find a Macmillan coffee morning so we thought we would do something different. Last year we raised just under £500.”
The sisters will be serving coffee and cake on Saturday and Sunday (29-30) from 9am to 4.30pm.
Hilary Al Rasheed, area fundraising manager for Gloucestershire, Herefordshire and Worcestershire, said: “It is fantastic to see so many coffee mornings being hosted across Worcestershire this year, and I sense a lot of cake will be eaten.
“Whether it be with friends and neighbours or colleagues at work, hopefully we’ll all take five minutes in our day to stop for coffee, and show our support and care for those whose lives are affected by cancer.”
It is not too late to register a coffee morning. For details, visit macmillan.org.uk/maketime, call 0845 070 1317 or text COFFEE to 88080.
A list of local events is also available at macmillan.org.uk.
WHERE TO GO FOR A CUPPA
These are some of the coffee mornings taking place around the Vale and Cotswolds.
• Pupils have organised a coffee morning at St Barnabas First and Middle School, Stonebow Road, Drakes Broughton, on Friday from 11am to 12pm.
They are planning to set up stalls in the middle school hall and will be giving out hot drinks in return for a donation. Family, friends and residents are welcome to attend.
• The Daisy Chain charity shop, Bridge Street, Evesham, is holding a coffee morning from 10am to 4.30pm. There will be a raffle, lucky dip, chocolates and tombola.
• Many Broadway businesses will be offering refreshments and discounts between 10am and noon.
• A coffee morning is being held at Wyre Piddle Village Hall, Worcester Road, Wyre Piddle from 10am.
• Estate agents Gusterson Palmer & James, Merstow Green, Evesham are holding an event from 10am to 12.30pm serving coffee, tea, cake and biscuits and holding a tombola.
• Spiritus, High Street, Evesham, will be serving coffee and cake from 10am.
• The Lygon Arms, in Broadway, will have homemade cakes on offer for a donation from 11am to 2pm along with raffle prizes, a 24-hour bikathon with optional fancy dress and nail station.