Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting EJ NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Headteacher charged with voyeurism
3:06pm Friday 7th March 2014 in News
A FORMER headteacher appeared in court today charged with voyeurism at a leisure centre and possessing extreme pornographic images.
David Doubtfire, former head at Bredon Hill Middle School, near Evesham, entered no plea to the charges when he appeared at Worcester Magistrates Court this afternoon.
The charges against the 51-year-old of Westholme Road, Bidford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, included one act of voyeurism allegedly committed on July 17 last year after a 26-year-old woman made a complaint to West Mercia Police about an incident at a leisure centre in Evesham.
Doubtfire was also accused of three counts of possessing extreme pornographic images, between September 8, 2012, and July 31 last year.
He appeared in court wearing a smart black suit and blue shirt and was using crutches to assist his walking.
The court was told he suffers with MS.
But the defendant did stand to hear from District Judge Nigel Cadbury at the end of the brief hearing when he was advised his case could be heard either in magistrates court or at crown court.
Doubtfire elected to have the case heard at Crown Court and he was given conditional bail and will reappear at Worcester Crown Court for a plea hearing on June 23.
Steven Charlton, current headteacher at Bredon Hill Middle School, said: "We are aware that David Doubtfire, former headteacher at Bredon Hill Middle School has appeared at Worcester Magistrates Court in connection to charges which are unrelated to children or his former role as a headteacher.
"Mr Doubtfire left Bredon Hill Middle School in 2006. As the court process is ongoing we are unable to comment any further."
Doubtfire was headteacher at Walkwood Church of England Middle School in Redditch when the charges were made but resigned from the post.
In a statement posted on its website, Walkwood Church of England Middle School in Redditch, Worcestershire, said the charges against Doubtfire did not relate to his former employment or any children at the school.
The statement read: "We are aware that David Doubtfire, former headteacher at Walkwood Middle School will appear at Worcester Magistrates' Court on charges which are unrelated to children or his former role at the school.
"Mr Doubtfire has not been at Walkwood since we were informed about the police investigation and formally resigned as head when the charges were brought.
"We are unable to comment further while the court process is ongoing."