A DRIVER bought a car the day after he was banned and drove it to the shops with a knife in the glove box.

Kamil Blaszczak of New Road, Evesham, admitted driving while disqualified, using a vehicle without insurance and possession of a lock knife when he appeared at Worcester Magistrates Court.

The court was told how the 34-year-old forklift driver, who appeared alongside a Polish interpreter, was stopped in Waterside, Evesham, on December 16 driving a Volvo.

Fred Pilkington, prosecuting, said Blaszczak was stopped after driving through a red temporary traffic light in Pershore Road. He was banned from driving for a year on September 6 last year for drink driving.

Mr Pilkington said: “When he was searched a lock knife was found in the glove box.”

The blade was three-and-a-half inches long. In police interview Blaszczak accepted he had been banned and said the knife was for personal use but he could not give a good reason for having it in public.

Mr Pilkington said: “He purchased the car the day after the court appearance and had applied for insurance but had not mentioned he had a conviction and was a disqualified driver.

He was given the insurance on a false premise.”

Blaszczak was also given a 12 month community order in July 2012 for producing cannabis, completing 100 hours of unpaid work.

David Ollivere, defending, said Blaszczak had entered guilty pleas at the earliest available opportunity and made full admissions in police interview.

Mr Ollivere also said his client had a fairly limited record and that he had successfully met the terms of a previous community order without any breaches.

He said: “I can offer no real reason for his stupidity in relation to the driving offence today. He tells me he needed shopping in town and took a chance.”

District judge Nigel Cadbury said he had completely ignored the court order by driving the car. Mr Ollivere said the purchase of the car was arranged before the ban was imposed.

But Mr Cadbury said: “He should still not have gone through with it. I consider the custody threshold may well have been passed.”

Blaszczak was granted bail until his next hearing at Worcester Magistrates Court.