Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting EJ NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Dog nearly dies after swallowing fish hook
12:00pm Thursday 24th October 2013 in News
A WOMAN whose dog nearly died after swallowing a fishing hook in Evesham believes it may have happened due to illegal activity.
Donna Watts, of St Peter’s Close, Evesham, was walking her dog Toffee along the river Avon near Hampton Ferry on Monday, September 30, when her pet began to gag.
When Miss Watts inspected the two-and-a-halfyear- old Staffordshire cross, she discovered she had swallowed a fishing hook left near the water’s edge.
“We stopped off at Hampton Ferry and she went in for a drink,” said the 31- year-old. “When she came out she was gagging. I saw the wire and the lead weight hanging out of her mouth.
“I realised she had swallowed a line so we went to Merstow Green Vets. She had to stay for surgery.
“Then they couldn’t find the hook so they had to make a large incision. The wire had got wrapped around her tonsils. The whole thing was quite distressing.
It was lucky we were insured, otherwise it would have cost about £1,500.
“I don’t think the hook came from fishermen because of where it was. That is not where the fishermen go.
“I believe it was somebody that had left a line illegally without a licence.”
The RSPCA said it had serious concerns about carelessly discarded fishing litter, whether as a result of illegal or legal fishing.
A spokesman for the charity said: “Every year, hundreds of animals come into our centres with serious and often fatal injuries caused by fishing tackle which has not been properly disposed of.
“It can be heartbreaking.
Wildlife are most affected, especially swans, but it is not that unusual for pets to be affected too, as in this case.
“Of course, the vast majority of anglers have great respect for the wildlife around them and are incredibly responsible about making sure their tackle is safely disposed of, but all it takes is for one irresponsible person to endanger an animal’s life.”
Comments are closed on this article.