Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting EJ NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Motorists told to 'belt up' in safety campaign
MOTORISTS are being told to ‘belt up’ as part of a new safety campaign this autumn.
To mark the start of Gloucestershire Road Safety Partnership’s autumn Seatbelt On? campaign, officers will be out in force on the county’s roads over the next week spreading the word.
Gloucestershire Police force operations team are conducting high profile stop checks in a different part of the county on each day of the campaign which runs until Tuesday.
This is in response to the 543 drivers and passengers in Gloucestershire who were reported for not belting up last year.
Jon Hall, head of operations for the Gloucestershire Road Safety Partnership said, “There is absolutely no excuse for not wearing a seatbelt.
“There is nothing more tragic for my firefighters to deal with than an incident on the road where someone is seriously injured or even killed because they failed to take the simple step of putting on their seatbelt before they set off.
“Our message is clear and simple. Always wear a seatbelt on every journey they make. It could save your life.”
Chief Constable Suzette Davenport said: “Seatbelts save lives. It really is that simple.
“You are twice as likely to die in a car crash if you are not wearing a seatbelt - odds which should make you think twice before you get behind the wheel without belting up.
“The law requiring all drivers to wear a seatbelt came in to force 30 years ago now so there’s really no excuse for not wearing one, and wearing it properly so it can be the most effective.”
Comments are closed on this article.