Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting EJ NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Meet the family who will live on £1 a day
7:58am Thursday 21st March 2013 in News
A FAMILY of four will be putting themselves in the shoes of poverty-stricken people all over the world as they prepare to live on £1 a day.
The Hulbert family from Honeybourne will exist on a restricted diet consisting of porridge, bread, rice, pasta and vegetables from the garden for five days, to raise money for the Cropthornebased charity Action on Poverty.
The challenge is part of a global campaign called Live Below the Line, supported by Action on Poverty, where mum Alex Daniels works, and aims to give people a glimpse into the lives of the 1.4billion people living on less than £1 a day.
Mrs Daniels will be joined by her husband Jon Hulbert and sons, 13-year-old Liam and Matthew, 10.
She said: “They are quite excited and see it as a challenge.
“They said we should make it less.
“They have heard what it is like for other people and they are aware they don’t have to make those kind of choices between eating themselves or looking after someone else.”
At the moment Mrs Daniels estimates her family eats about £20 worth of food a day – the total amount of cash they will have for the whole five days.
But she and her husband have calculated the costs and devised a menu.
“We will have value pasta and rice, make our own bread, have porridge, probably largely with milk, carrots, lentils, leeks and herbs from the garden to give the meals flavour.
“I will make sure the boys get the right stuff but there won’t be any meat or much fruit.
“We will have to cut out snacks. People have to live on less than £1 a day, which is a pretty scary thought in this day and age. It’s going to be tough.”
The family are hoping to raise around £600. To support them visit livebelowtheline.com/me /alexdaniels.
FAMILY’S MENU FOR THE FIVE DAYS
• FRIDAY Breakfast: porridge Lunch: homemade bread with cheap spread/homemade jam, malt bread Dinner: value pasta, tomatoes, sweetcorn, leeks from the garden
• SATURDAY Breakfast: porridge Lunch: homemade bread, four eggs Dinner: value rice, lentil curry and garden herbs; bananas
• SUNDAY Breakfast: porridge Lunch: homemade bread, lentil soup Dinner: value pasta carbonara using soya milk and one packet of value bacon
• MONDAY Breakfast: porridge Lunch: homemade bread, spread/homemade jam, carrots, malt bread Dinner: potatoes and egg omelette, leeks, carrots
• TUESDAY Breakfast: porridge Lunch: homemade bread, cheap spread/homemade jam, carrots, malt bread Dinner: rice mushroom curry, onions, pancakes with one lemon.