Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting EJ NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
48-home village plan is approved
11:00am Tuesday 12th February 2013 in News
COUNCIL planners have given the green light to a housing estate in Bretforton at the second time of asking.
The proposals for 48 new homes in a field next to Holly Close were originally deferred in December last year but last Thursday they were approved after a vote to delay making a decision for a second time was unsuccessful.
Don Bird, speaking in objection to the application, said: “This is the wrong location.
There are real concerns about road safety and we want more shared ownership properties.
“The site on Station Road is currently a quagmire of silt more than knee-deep in places and we have determined there is a large underground watercourse.”
However, despite Mr Bird’s comments, members were given assurances from a district council engineer that there was no proven underground watercourse.
In December, the applicant, Crest Nicholson South West and Alliance Trust Pensions Ltd, was asked to create a pedestrian link between the proposed building plot and a neighbouring one with permission for 22 homes to be built by Evesham and Pershore Housing Association, as well as more variety in the size of the houses.
These changes were met but newly submitted plans showed two affordable homes which were in the original proposals had been dropped.
Councillor Judy Pearce said: “Now we have got the access the only way to cram in the affordable houses is to stick them in the corner like a little ghetto and there’s no room for the two more (which were dropped).”
Simon Hawley addressed the committee on behalf of the applicants and said they had worked hard to satisfy all issues previously raised.
Some councillors spoke in support of the application, with Coun David Noyes saying he thought the report was ‘great’.
The application was approved with nine in favour and four abstentions.
Comments are closed on this article.